What a musical year it was! I’m taking up hack’s challenge but it is excruciatingly difficult to pick only 10 songs from the entire year of 2007 to highlight.
I narrowed it down a little by excluding any musicians already on hack’s list.
I also excluded entire albums, if I simply liked the album as a whole and couldn’t pick out a favorite song. I’ll do a follow-up post on those albums.
- 99 and 1/2 – Mavis Staples
Stopped in my tracks first time I heard it.
- My Little Basquiat – Cowboy Junkies
I love interesting songs about motherhood.
- Big Wheel – Tori Amos
2007 is the year I started appreciating Tori Amos.
- When We Were Kids – Rappers’ Delight Club
Schoolkids rapping over Jens Lekman samples!!
- Pluto – Clare & The Reasons
How could I resist a love song to a planet?
- We Are Walking Slowly – The Sheds
So appealingly good-natured.
(Check out all their free downloads!)
- Can’t Even Tie Your Own Shoes – Golden Smog
I like the story. And it’s catchy.
- Watina – Andy Palacio
Moving and gorgeous.
- Mama, Don’t Ever Go Away – Dee Dee Bridgewater
American jazz singer collaborates with African musicians. Wow!
- Versatile Heart – Linda Thompson
Linda’s songs charm both my head and heart.